Thomas Jefferson edition- part 1
- Jefferson had one of America’s great wine cellars- his love of wine always had him in debt. During his presidency he spent an estimated $11,000 on wine, equivalent to $147,000 today.
- Public speaking terrified him- John Adams claimed never to have heard him speak more than a sentence while in the Continental Congress. Jefferson never gave a State of the Union address- all eight of his were hand delivered to Congress.
- No abuse of power allowed- Jefferson was the first two-term President never to veto a bill.
- Man of the world- Jefferson was fluent in six languages (English, Latin, Greek, Italian, Spanish, French) and could understand 12 different American Indian dialects.
- Lively dinner conversation- Jefferson frustrated supporters and rivals alike by insisting upon a round dining table at the White House. He sat rivals next to one another to observe and enjoy the discourse.